I posted this on Instagram just after I started my account back in September, so I wanted to get this up here because it is one of my very favorite vegan recipes, and I really think everyone should try it before they die. Do you honestly want to go on living with no vegan egg salad in your life? I know I don’t.
- 2 blocks of firm tofu
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup FRESHLY grated carrot (I cannot stress this enough, but pre-grated just isn’t the same, trust me!)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard (cut in half if you don’t love Dijon as much as I do)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Press out as much liquid from your tofu as possible. You don’t need a fancy tofu press! I just press the tofu between two plates with a kitchen towel, draining it a couple times until it’s good to go. Then, simply crumble the tofu into a large mixing bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix. I use my hands. It’s more fun that way.
Pictured is my favorite way to eat it, on a sandwich with crispy lettuce, tomato, red onion, sprouts, pickle and some extra Vegenaise. It also makes a great dip with crackers, or just dive in with a huge spoon like I do. Share with your friends if you want, but I don’t recommend it.
One thought on “Eggless Egg Salad”