Of all the vegan meals I make on a regular basis, this is definitely the one that makes omnivores seriously consider switching to a plant-based diet (or to incorporate more plant-based meals in their life!). This includes some of the best flavors, all from the best natural ingredients: avocado, lemon, basil and garlic.
The recipe below serves at least two people and has been adapted from Oh She Glows. Definitely cut it in half if you’re making this for yourself because this doesn’t keep very well in the fridge (maybe up to a day, but it doesn’t heat well and would probably be better to eat it cold if left in the fridge). Or, you can just eat it all yourself if you’re hungry. Been there. No judging here.
- 3 servings of your choice of pasta (I prefer Banza Chickpea Pasta — it cooks up so well, has lots of protein and doesn’t give me tummy aches like other GF pastas I have tried)
- 1 medium ripe avocado (or two very small, if you buy the tiny ones)
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced (I like to save the other half for serving)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (I’m crazy for garlic; use less if you like)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bonus: Certain veggies work really well in this dish, especially steamed asparagus!
- Cook your pasta according to the directions.
- Place the avocado, basil, garlic, salt, lemon juice and avocado oil in a food processor or small powerful blender (like a NutriBullet) and process until smooth.
- When the pasta is done cooking, toss the sauce and pasta together until completely combined.
- Top with black pepper and squeeze some extra lemon juice on top if desired.
- Serve right away and enjoy!