The first time I heard about broiled grapefruit, I thought it sounded incredibly strange and had no desire to try it. I’m so glad I did though, because it has become one of my favorite breakfast (or dessert!) foods.
It’s so easy to make too. From start to finish, it takes less than 10 minutes. Not long to wait for such a sweet, warm treat.
- 1 grapefruit, any variety*
- 4-6 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- A few dashes of cinnamon
- Coconut or almond yogurt, for topping (optional)
- Turn on broiler and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Do NOT use parchment, as it could catch fire under the broiler.
- Cut grapefruit in half (through the middle, not the stem end)
- Place on baking sheet with the flesh facing up. You can cut a tiny bit off the bottom to make it more level when sitting on the tray.
- Using a knife, cut around the edges of the grapefruit and between each piece to loosen the flesh. This will make it much easier to eat once it comes out of the oven.
- Spoon 2-3 tsp of coconut sugar on each half.
- Add a few dashes of cinnamon to each half (can omit if you don’t like cinnamon).
- Place under broiler for 5-7 minutes. You will see juice oozing from the grapefruits and the tops will be a bit brown and flesh elevated.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve with coconut or almond yogurt if you’d like.
* Yellow grapefruit tends to be more sour and will likely require more sugar to get the taste right. I personally prefer ruby red for broiling.
4 thoughts on “Broiled Grapefruit”
Tried it for the first time about a year and a half ago. Really liked it.
I’m so glad you have tried this! It really is so delicious.
Yummm! This makes grapefruit looks pretty delicious. Haha. I’ve never been a fan of it, but like this, it might be bearable. 😉
Haha oh I definitely prefer it this way too. The coconut sugar is just perfect!