This is quite possibly my favorite sauce I have made so far. It goes so well when tossed on pasta, but also makes a killer dip for roasted potatoes. Plus it’s really fun to make, especially if you have an open flame. I used my gas stove to roast my pepper marshmallow style, but you can also roast your pepper in an oven.
I posted the full recipe for this in my Instagram caption, but wanted to take the time to write it up for the blog after I saw that this was my most successful Instagram post to date. So, if you try it, do drop me a comment to let me know how it went.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews ground into fine powder
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Roast the garlic. The fastest way is to place the cloves on a piece of aluminum foil with a dash of oil, then close the foil to create a pouch and roast at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Roast the red pepper. You can do this directly on the oven rack at 450°F for 30 minutes, or if you have a gas stove, roast the pepper over the flame until all sides are blackened. Allow the pepper to cool, then remove most of the charred bits, stem, core and seeds.
- Add the red pepper, garlic, cream cheese, cashew powder, oil, tomato paste (if using), salt and pepper to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Heat the sauce in the microwave or stove top before using.
*Substitution: In a pinch you can substitute cashew cream [1.5cups raw cashews soaked overnight then blended with 3/4 cup water], or unsweetened plant milk for a thinner sauce)