This pesto turned out to be so delicious that I was honestly surprised by it. As I was adding these ingredients to my food processor, I wasn’t exactly sure if it made a lot of sense. Then I tasted it and knew this one was a keeper!
The best thing about this recipe is that it’s so easy to make. You basically just toss the ingredients into a food processor and you’re done! There are so many ways to use pesto, but of course, the first thing I had to do was toss it with some pasta. Luckily I have leftovers to use on sandwiches this week.
I’m also working on an oil-free version of this pesto that has a similar flavor. Typically I cook without oil because I feel so much better without it. It does affect my digestion and inflammation, but sometimes I like to use oil for certain recipes because it just works and is delicious. Plus, when trying to impress others with vegan recipes, a little oil often helps. I don’t like the idea of being strictly rigid in what I eat — outside of doing my best to only consume vegan foods — so you can bet I really enjoyed this bowl of pasta to the fullest!
If you try this, please let me know by leaving a comment.
- 1/2 cup (52 g) roasted, shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup (120 g) raw pine nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add pistachios, pine nuts, basil, garlic, salt & pepper to a food processor and blend until smooth. You can leave as much texture to your pesto as you like.
- Slowly add in olive oil until sauce is emulsified. If you process the sauce too long, it could get a bit chunky.
- Heat sauce before using. Enjoy!